Bookkeepers keep accurate financial records of the day to day income and expenses in all types of business.
As a bookkeeper your duties would typically include.
- recording of sales invoices, receipts and payments
- balancing accounts (known as double entry bookkeeping)
- preparing financial records
- completing VAT returns
- checking that accounts are accurate
- dealing with wages, if you deal with payroll
- helping prepare year end accounts
- using computerized accounting systems
- giving admin support to accountants
In a larger business you would usually work as part of an accounts team, and you might specialize in one particular area like purchases or Sales, payroll or credit control. If you work in a small business you might do all of these tasks as well as other general office work.
Annual Income and Working Environment
Standard working hours in a full time job would usually be 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday. If you are a self employed bookkeeper you could work at times to suit you.
Skills and Interests
- be competent at working with numbers
- have good communication skills
- have an interested in business and finance
- be able to organize yourself
- work accurately and pay attention to detail
- work well as part of a team
- be able to work to strict deadlines
- be honest, discreet and trustworthy
Bookkeeper salaries can be from around £30,000 – £35,000 per year