What do Payroll administrators do?
If you are considering taking a bookkeeping course you should also consider taking a payroll course to help increase your personal Job salability – employers will love the fact that you have these qualifications to go along side your bookkeeping certificate/diploma!
Payroll administrators make sure that a business wages are paid correctly and on time.
You will find it helpful to have experience of bookkeeping, accounts or other type of office work. computer experience is also useful particularly in using spreadsheets and databases. The job involves:
- checking how many hours employees have worked
- calculating and issuing pay by cash, cheque or electronic transfer
- deducting tax and national insurance payments
- creating records for new staff
- processing holiday, sick and maternity pay and expenses
- calculating overtime, shift payments and pay increases
- issuing P45 and other tax forms
- working closely with personnel departments
Some payroll administrators may also do general administrative work such as filing, photocopying and typing.
Online Payroll Courses
With the availability of online payroll courses there’s never been a better time to train become a payroll administrator! There are many online payroll courses available that will get you the qualifications that employers are looking for.
It will help if you have the following skills:
- be comfortable with numbers
- have good IT skills
- have good spoken and writing skills
- be well organized and pay attention to details
- can work as part of a team
- able to meet strict deadlines
- be discreet and trustworthy
If you work as a Payroll administrator you would be office base with the majority of your time spent at a computer. working hours would usually be 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday.